The ARSILC 2016 Cross Disability Conference Registration is now Open!
Early Bird deadline is January 16, 2016
Greetings Friends! As the Executive Director of the Arkansas SILC, I am very pleased to announce that the registration for the 2016 Cross Disability Conference is now open! Over the past three years, my assistant, the Board of Directors and I have listened to consumers and have crafted a unique conference for all individuals with disabilities, their families, legislatures, caregivers and professionals can come together and learn new ideas and experience areas that have not been exposed to Arkansas. Laws are changing the way we do business and individuals with disabilities from children to adults are affected by these laws.
In those changing systems, we as professionals are now living, shopping, playing, worshipping, and working next to the people we support. The boundaries are disappearing for individuals living with disabilities. Consider the following questions:
· Who are we called to support? Most people with disabilities, intellectual and developmental disabilities, as adults, live with their families and/or have caregivers come into the home.
· What, as professionals, is our relationship with those individuals and families, with community members, and policy makers?
· How does power need to shift?
· How do we empower Youth with Disabilities to be the Emerging leaders?
· What new roles do we have?
· How do our understandings of professional identity and vocation change or need to change to live out the values and vision built into the core of vision statements like the CRPD?
Whether the professionals attending are clinician, researcher, academic teacher, policy leader, administrator or hands-on professional, what do these changes mean to them now and in the future? Being a professional is part identity, part skills, part vision, and part commitment to serving individuals with disabilities diversely across the board.
Who is the Captive Audience?
· ALL disabilities are welcome to attend
· Educators & researchers
· Therapists & clinicians
· Caregivers & family members
The conference will provide meaningful information to use on a daily basis and for a lifetime. Our philosophy is that all individuals despite the disability to be equal members and productive in society. Some individuals require more accommodations than others but the end result is the rights and privileges given to everyone.
Click on the link below to start the registration process. We look forward to seeing you. Stay tuned for the draft agenda that will be posted soon!